Christ & Public Life
If Christianity is true, it should make a difference in the Church and the home that flows over into the marketplace and the voting booth. That much is clear. As to what that difference might be, there is little consensus; less, it seems, with every passing year. I submit that its determination should start with the following propositions, four essential cornerstones of any approach to public life that can claim to be either Christian or reality-based:
1. There is only one Messiah, and the state is not he.
2. No program or theory that undermines individual responsibility is acceptable (or even tolerable).
3. Programs or theories that seem to advance "social justice" by violating one of the first two propositions will backfire in the long run.
4. Compassion that fails to understand human nature and human motivation is equivalent to cruelty.
We violate these principles at our peril.
Donald T. Williams Ph.D., is Professor Emeritus of Toccoa Falls College and the author of Deeper Magic: The Theology Behind the Writings of C. S. Lewis (Square Halo Books, 2016) and Ninety-Five Theses for a New Reformation: A Road Map for Post-Evangelical Christianity (Semper Reformanda Publications, 2021).
calling all readers
"There are magazines worth reading but few worth saving . . . Touchstone is just such a magazine."
—Alice von Hildebrand
"Here we do not concede one square millimeter of territory to falsehood, folly, contemporary sentimentality, or fashion. We speak the truth, and let God be our judge. . . . Touchstone is the one committedly Christian conservative journal."
—Anthony Esolen, Touchstone senior editor
• Not a subscriber or wish to renew your subscription? Subscribe to Touchstone today for full online access. Over 30 years of publishing!
Transactions will be processed on a secure server.
Order Touchstone subscriptions in bulk and save $10 per sub! Each subscription includes 6 issues of Touchstone plus full online access to touchstonemag.com—including archives, videos, and pdf downloads of recent issues for only $29.95 each! Great for churches or study groups.
OR get a subscription to Touchstone to read on your Kindle for only $1.99 per month! (This option is KINDLE ONLY and does not include either print or online.)
Your subscription goes a long way to ensure that Touchstone is able to continue its mission of publishing quality Christian articles and commentary.
more from the online archives